Carbon monoxide can be formed by fossil fuels that have not burned properly. It is an odourless, tasteless and colourless gas which makes it dangerous because it is hard to detect. Gas Safe engineers are engineers registered with gas safe; a company which makes sure that the engineers are fully competent to work with gas appliances and are qualified and know what they are doing. If you do not use a Gas Safe engineer, it is possible that your gas connections aren’t secure and this can potentially lead to the release of carbon monoxide.
Around 15 people die every year from Carbon Monoxide poisoning so it is paramount you take necessary measures to prevent this by having your gas appliances tested by a Gas Safe engineer. Gas appliances that are not installed properly or not vented properly are at most risk of producing Carbon Monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide can cause serious problems for your health and can lead to brain damage and paralysis. Once Carbon monoxide is in the body, it can stop the red blood cells from taking oxygen to the cells, tissues and organs. It can kill quickly and even levels of carbon monoxide that do not kill can cause a significant amount of harm to your health.
There are various ways you can check if your gas appliance is burning properly. If your oven flame is burning yellow or orange rather than a blue flame then it is not combusting properly. If you have soot or yellow stains around your oven or cooker, this can also indicate that your fuel is not fully combusting. Also if you notice that condensation on the windows is increasing in your house, this can also be a sign.
There are six main symptoms to look out for:
- Loss of consciousness
If you have any of these symptoms and you suspect it may be carbon monoxide poisoning do not use your gas appliances, consult a doctor and make sure your gas appliance is safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
To have your Gas appliance checked make sure you call Gas Cookers Installation on 0333 320 0458 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.